Saturday, June 5, 2010

This job isn't that tough or This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things! Part 2

One thing I truly hate at work is being treated like an idiot.  A lot of coppers have college degrees, worked a number of years in the military doing sophisticated jobs and are quite adroit at policework.  However, once in a while (seemingly too often lately) someone fucks it up for everyone, and I have no choice but to say to myself, "This is why we can't have nice things."

In roll call this morning, the watch commander said, "Be sure if a sports team is close to winning a World Series or an NBA championship or anything, that you're prepared with your helmet and baton.  If they call you to form up downtown to quell a riot, you shouldn't have to go back to the station.  Don't be like two officers who not only had to come back to the station to get their gear - but went through the drive thru somewhere.  Not only that, but they then were in the break room munching down.  Who do you think walked by?  The Captain!  Yes, he did.  Not only did he rip those officers, but he lit into the watch commander.  And as they say, shit rolls down hill."

Ok, I'm thinking to myself, "This job is not tough.  It isn't the Marines where they give you some food, some ammo, tell you where to stand you're expected to do it until they have somewhere else to put you - if that's minutes, hours or days from now.  This is police work, it's really quite easy after you're properly trained."  What I said out loud in roll call was,

This is why we can't have nice things.

I got a lot of laughs - I said it as a joke, but it's true.  One idiot ruins it for everyone all to often on this job.

I mean if you like yourself and your supervisor, why would you put yourself and your watch commander through any of this?  Wait - even if you fucking hated your supervisor (and he you), why would you do something that would call attention to yourself in a negative light?  If you truly fucking hated your supervisor, being completely inept and lame would not help your working relationship.  By being incompetent, you have now given this hated superior the go ahead to make your life difficult.

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog and hope you update soon!! I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please give an update, I really enjoyed your piece at street carnage and have read all your posts here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did.

      I plan on blogging much more regularly.

      Delete