Thursday, May 27, 2010

This is why we can't have nice things! (Part I)

At the beginning of the year I went to the pistol range to qualify with my duty pistol - something I've done since I was in the Police Academy with regularity.  This time it was different.  This time I had to present my police identification.  Then the range officer saw my ID, scanned it with an infrared scanner and told me which lane I would shoot from.  I knew exactly what this change meant.

It meant some fucking slapdick asswipe with no personal or professional integrity posed as his buddy and qualified for him.  Sometimes police officers are their own worst enemies.  Coppers get a ton of fringe benefits.  But being untrustworthy is precisely why we can't have nice things!

I'm just waiting for some slick defense attorney to bring this up during the next big trial.  Great defense attorneys are masters at planting doubt.  The next time a retired running back with bad knees stabs his ex-wife ... I can see it now, "Is it true you and your brother AND sister officers can't even be counted on to be truthful when qualifying at the pistol range!?  Is it not true you have to present your police ID because of integrity issues in the past?"  You don't think that'll plant some doubt?

No comments:

Post a Comment